TW rarefied uber mojo parts

A place to identify old parts used in old amps.

TW rarefied uber mojo parts

Postby dai h. » Tue May 07, 2013 12:31 pm

(TW as in Trainwreck)

so, looking at some parts related threads on another forum, seems to me a lot of them were just commonly available parts, with a number seeming to be recognizably made in Japan (while they have must have been at least decent or better, I think this was just more to do with lots of Japanese parts makers competing in mass markets and thus being more likely to be found than being "the best" or especially selected by Ken on superior performance). So Rubycon (Nagano) is one obvious brand (some of the alu electros), Miyama (they made the red/white Univibe switches--sold by Mouser as "Mountain Switch") toggles, power indicator (looks like it might be Sato Parts neon lamp #BN-5701 which seems to still be in production), mica caps IIRC appeared to also be from a Japanese maker (forget the manf. name), knobs also possibly Sato Parts?. Maybe KF just ordered some of the parts out of the Mouser catalog, :lol: (actually wouldn't be surprising). At MEF(music electronics forum) I recall a post by Bruce(Mission Amps) speaking w/KF and having a laught at people trying to obtain the exact wirewound "sand block" resistors since he just used what he had on hand. Of course I could be entirely incorrect and KF was in fact painstakingly 'auditioning' the correct sounding wire color and fuse holder and so on for 12 hours every day sweating out those last little increments of TONE. :mrgreen:
dai h.

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: TW rarefied uber mojo parts

Postby dai h. » Sat May 18, 2013 4:10 am

also, there was another post if memory serves asking the maker of a mica in a TW, and I forget which marking exactly, but (I think) it was either NTK or NTD (both are MIJ). "NTK" is Nitsuko, "NTD" is Nittoku Denki, and apparently Matsuzaki Denki Seisakusho (would be something like "Matsuzaki Electric Works" in English) are the actual makers for Nitsuko and have apparently been manufacturing mica capacitors for over 50 years, and starting from the year 2000, been making mica caps under their own brand. They are probably good quality, but I doubt there is anything particularly special compared to another regular (non-defective) mica cap. Maybe that is enough info for mojo chasing/parts hoarding/speculation purposes. :lol:
dai h.

Postby David B » Sat May 18, 2013 9:21 am

Dai,

I’m pretty sure most the component were as you say off the shelf,knobs might have been Dakaware?
Anyhow IMO the most important things in a wreck are the circuit, layout is very important though some have deviated with good results, the iron and tube selection, thing is a bloody tube tester!
IIRC Ken didn’t always stick with the same signal & filter capacitors so it must be the wire :lol:

I have some older sand block resistors & the only advantage I can see is they have beefier leads..

David
David B

Postby dai h. » Sat May 18, 2013 12:13 pm

(according to the guy selling them) I think he mentioned Dakaware as originals and something similar in current production.

Anyhow IMO the most important things in a wreck are the circuit, layout is very important though some have deviated with good results, the iron and tube selection, thing is a bloody tube tester!
IIRC Ken didn’t always stick with the same signal & filter capacitors so it must be the wire :lol:

I wouldn't say parts don't matter at all, but yeah it's more how things are put together and used. Like for an op amp (as I understand) the way the transistors are hooked up inside greatly influence the outcome. The input is differential (helps w/noise and also helps reduce distortion), plus typically lots of feedback, and some other things I don't quite get yet (constant current somesuch) help make things cleaner.

layout is very important

this is one part I would like to have a better grasp of in general. Wonder if this is just basically a matter of reinforcement or cancellation and getting it to work for you.
dai h.

Postby dai h. » Sun May 19, 2013 6:23 am

re: the knobs,

Sato Parts K-90 (comes in three sizes, i.e. "K-90-S", "K-90-M", and "K-90-L")? (Costs around USD$1-2 depending on size.)

dai h.

Postby David B » Sun May 19, 2013 8:32 pm

Those K-90 look well made , perhaps a bit better than the modern Dakaware knobs which don't have the indicator recessed & tend to wear off after long usage, got some pictures of the bottoms?
David B

Postby David B » Sun May 19, 2013 8:37 pm

My mistake :oops: the ones I used are Davies knobs

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Dav ... Lx2U4J4%3d
David B

Postby dai h. » Mon May 20, 2013 12:41 am

sorry David, couldn't find a pic of the bottom (seems like most places just use the same picture). Just occured to me that those wouldn't fit unless the holes were specified for imperial (inches) (but I'm sure that must be something that could be specified). So those Davies (with 0.25 in. hole) look the most practical (unless of course you happen to be using metric pots).

re: the Davies, do you know if they expanded their range or something? I seem to recall (from old Mouser cat) that they didn't offer that many. The Mouser cat. page w/the Davies seems to show Sato Parts types mixed in (with some of the Davies ones I remember such as "2300" and "2310").

also, is it just me or does there seem to be a dearth of cool looking knobs?
dai h.

Postby David B » Mon May 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Dai,

I don't recall if they expanded that section, been a long time since I had the old paper catalog, they still able ? hate looking through pages on a screen...
1,268 matches for knobs, well yeah most would look goofy on an amp..
David B

Postby dai h. » Tue May 21, 2013 12:38 am

(I'm looking at an old Mouser catalog from '98, and) it's showing a mere six knobs for the "Harry Davies Knobs" range. The "Eagle" knob range above (on the same page) looks like Sato Parts range (or possibly in part). "450-1017 ('fits .25 inch shafts')" looks similar to the one in question. No idea if it's a clone or some type of licenced copy, etc.

Also, noticed that some of the Sato Parts octal plugs and (1) socket apparently went out of production, which kind of sucks a bit. Some time before that they ceased making 7 and 9-pin mini. plugs(I found them useful for wiring up sockets--I'd plug one in so there would be no difference in tension when a tube was plugged in).
dai h.

Return to Part Identification