Carbon comps and carbon films

A place to identify old parts used in old amps.

Carbon comps and carbon films

Postby Brian Wallace » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Here are a couple of pictures showing the difference between the CC and Cf resistors.
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: Carbon comps and carbon films

Postby David B » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:21 pm

Brian,

Cool pictures 8) I recognize the Iskra and Piher to the right and the carbon comp to the extreme left but does anyone know the origin/manufacturer of the two remaining carbon film resistors (skinny guy in the middle and to the left with rounded ends) ?
David B

Postby Brian Wallace » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:07 pm

David,

I won't pretend to know all of these but the Iskra is on the far right, then a Piher and then I think the next one is a lower wattage piher, the far left CC is probably an AB. I don't know after that.

This picture came from Marc, maybe he knows.
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby dai h. » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:23 am

might look at/for Beyschlag if anyone is looking for red carbon films that look about right (net searching, ebay, etc.). Also, I've seen Japanese carbon film having the red(or -ish) base color but haven't found any in the Marshall-correct values.
dai h.

Postby David B » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Revisiting this old post, I have seen these resistors in Klemt gear and in the R&S capacitor tester pictured but I still haven't confirmed who made them. Anyone?

David B

Postby neikeel » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:31 pm

They were supplied in cream card wrappers with plastic sleeve.

Hy-Stab is the name used but no makers mark or country of origin :(
Neil
neikeel

Postby dai h. » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:19 pm

(not that I'm an expert, but) my understanding of the "Hy-Stab" term (trademark??) is (was) a generic term for (then) new carbon film Rs (more stable then CComp--paint helps keep out moisture?). Someone older who has worked w/electronics in UK for a long time probably knows. Another possibility is an older version (bit diff. package) from some brand (the newer versions should generally be smaller I'd think). Wonder if somewhere out there there possibly exists a list of UK component makers (I've seen something like that for Japanese parts makers in a Japanese tech. mag.).
dai h.

Postby David B » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:19 pm

Neil,

Got any pictures of the resistors in the package? I was going off topic in the rewind thread so moved my inquiry to the proper place..

Dai,

Yeah that was the term for "Cracked carbon" resistors according to the catalog..
Do see them in a lot of electronics from Germany though hey could have been made anywhere.

David
David B

Return to Part Identification