Rangemaster clone

A place to discuss all the cool pedals we love to torture our amps with.

Re: Rangemaster clone

Postby David B » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:30 pm

David B

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Postby dai h. » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:01 am

certainly looks nice (very). Kinda pricey for what it does.
dai h.

Postby David B » Thu May 01, 2014 4:37 pm

Yeah nicely done Rangemaster deplica, I haven't followed what originals are going for but I would guess they aren't cheap?
David B

Postby dai h. » Fri May 02, 2014 11:07 am

hmm... well I suppose if someone wants something that *looks* the same, that is a product definitely for them. (Wonder what the deal is with any trademarks, etc. Flying under the radar? Or?).

also, was looking at another thread (at aron's IIRC), where the input to ground R (absent in the original I think--in a simulation?) was 10Meg instead of the usual 1M(or sometimes 2.2M in clones?). My understanding is the C the pickup sees is the significant thing (affects the resonant peak), so maybe it doesn't matter (much?)? I vaguely remember playing with removing tone controls and my memory of it was that I heard a slight bit more edge (but it's an old foggy memory so may be misremembering).
dai h.

Postby David B » Fri May 02, 2014 6:36 pm

Not sure if anyone owns the rights to that gadget? BTW have a link to that thread?
David B

Postby dai h. » Sat May 03, 2014 5:38 am

(the simulation is by "Gus"(Smalley))

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/i ... c=107047.0

(The external bias control sounds interesting also. I remember (most probably very crudely) messing around with the resistor values (using pots) on the base and tweaking for strongest even harmonics by ear. Maybe I didn't use it (my RM clone) in the best way, but I found it a bit boring compared to say, a nice fuzz but maybe it needs the perfect combo of hot enough pickup into a bit too woofy amp (so it cuts out the lows nicely). Also, I'm guessing crappier ceramics used for the in/out coupling (some of the originals used red "dogbone" style ones) will be slightly more interesting.)
dai h.

Postby dai h. » Sat May 03, 2014 8:00 am

here's one I've seen on the used market here:

http://members2.jcom.home.ne.jp/jabe-gu ... RANGE.html

A "Vintage Pedal Workshop" one for (roughly) USD$260.
dai h.

Postby David B » Sat May 03, 2014 12:14 pm

Thanks for the link.Mine has those green chicklet things, polyester? Haven't tried different caps or input values yet..

I finally stuck a trimmer in there, kinda crude so maybe mounting it external would be better. I tend to use with fuzz to tighten up the bass rather than a standalone noise maker

David B

Postby dai h. » Sat May 03, 2014 5:38 pm

yeah I think those are typically polyester(mylar).

David B wrote:I tend to use with fuzz to tighten up the bass rather than a standalone noise maker

I see (tight bass definitely can be important for rock and related styles--won't work if the bottom is farty. :lol: ). Was thinking maybe using it in front of the bass channel (or bass type circuit w/out the split cathode 2n2/680nF, etc.) would be a suitable combo(?).

p.s. bit of a veer (perhaps should be another thread, but) I saw a clip from this guy at the PP forum:

http://www.youtube.com/user/millstap

sounds pretty good (to my ear anyway)
dai h.

Previous

Return to Effects Pedals