echo

A place to discuss all the cool pedals we love to torture our amps with.

echo

Postby David B » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:43 pm

Any fans of tape echo?

EP3 circa 1973 :D
David B

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: echo

Postby Brian Wallace » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:47 pm

I have one of those somewhere. :lol:

Just using an echoplex without the echo makes your tone better.
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby David B » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:53 pm

they do sound great but feeding them us getting expensive unless you load your own cartridges
David B

Postby Brian Wallace » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:03 pm

How much are the tapes now?
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby David B » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:23 pm

dunno but thought I saw someone selling loaded cartridges stupid money , oh yeah here we go..
http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.a ... id=5240001

but found this

http://www.loop-master.com/product_info ... ucts_id=69
David B

Postby dai h. » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:34 am

almost bought a broken one, an Evans something(which also had reverb), but didn't know much and wasn't sure if I could fix it so I passed. When I was looking for info on it on the web, I ran into an expired auction for another Evans tape echo, and the seller was relating in the auction how he cut VHS tape to fit (and went with that) since it sounded better than what was already present. So that may be a last ditch option if the correct tape can't be found.
dai h.

Postby David B » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:31 pm

VHS tape ? had heard of 8-track tape being used but haven't tried either
David B

Postby dai h. » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:28 pm

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e86121045

okay, looked for the auction, and he does say VHS. (I suppose since they are meant for analog video and audio perhaps that means they are better quality than say cassette tape? He says, "any magnetic tape will probably work". Also says, "the tape looks like it's to 1/4 inch standard".) Seller in the auction says he tried cassette tape first, but the video tape sounded better.
dai h.

Postby Smallbox » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:54 am

Hello All,
I am a great fan of Echo, specifically Tape Echos such as the EP-3 Echoplex!
As Brian mentioned, just putting one in your signal chain will add something magical to your tone!
I remember when I got mine in the mail, and excitedly plugged in to the first amp nearby (a cheap
little {transistor} Fender Bullet) and , ta-da, there was that unmistakeable & vintage '60's "perfect" echo
effect. It neither overpowers your original tone, nor sterilizes it... It's slightly warbly, like Chorus, but
in it's own way.
Testament to the fact that Echoplexii are desireable is the recent development, or should I say "theft" of the
tone-shaping portion of the EP circuit for production into an effects pedal. (Sounds like a re-curring theme
in music electronics, doesn't it? The recycling of circuits, ala>Fender Bassman>Marshall Jtm45> etc>etc...)
Too bad nothing as original in design as an Echoplex seems to come along these days, as things produced by CAD/CAM,
CNC and most things Digital are simply... well.... STERILE!

Anyway... :oops:

8) Ok now....back to the Tapes!
For those not aware, tapes, which may (at first) seem expensive, are still available
from the family members of Mike Battle. Mike is the original inventor of the Echoplex.
I searched for his recently closed website and was sadly unable to find it.
I was, however, successful in being able to locate the (somewhat dreaded) $ebay$ link to the specialty tapes
that are sold by his family members.
I have no idea of how long their tapes will remain available, but I would generally consider that like all good things,
they will come to an end. So...I would say that that should be considered when calculating the "cost" of an item.
They are the work of the original inventor, and are most likely limited in number.
Perhaps with the input (hopefully favourable) of a few people who are adventurous enough to buy one and provide the sellers with some honest feedback, the production of these might be maintained for a while...
Think of them like tubes (valves) maybe? A limited number of "the good old stuff", and if you're lucky enough to own one of the old units, they're useless without a tape cartridge!

Btw, Mike Battle sadly passed away in early 2008....

See ya...til next post,
Ray

Links
Mike Battle
http://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/mike-battle (<<very minimal article about Mike Battle)

Echoplex Tapes (ebay) by Mike's Relatives
http://cgi.ebay.com/ECHOPLEX-replacement-tape-and-cartridge_W0QQitemZ360133080262QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item360133080262&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
Smallbox

Postby David B » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:44 pm

Hi Ray,

Great stuff ! had no idea those were available, wonder if the tape is formulated for the old EP3's? Worth an investigation though and the machine could probably be biased for the newer tape.
This is an interesting bit on maintaining the EchoPlex and some tape loading tips..
http://www.regiscoyne.com/echoplex/

Dai,

Is that the same company that makes drum heads?
David B

Postby Smallbox » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:40 pm

HI David,
No idea what tape formulation they used but would assume they tried to get a pretty decent
grade of tape for them to sound nice/last a while. I suppose an ebay Question to the Seller might be in order to try to find out what they can tell us...?

I have seen the Regis Coyne EP page...pretty cool stuff!
There used to be more info around the net and more places that did service as well, but as these units become more scarce
they seem to have (nearly) vanished except for a few. Maybe EJ's back to buying up all the good ones??

For what it's worth, I have a copy of an old EchoPlex Service/Maintenence Manual (40~odd pages?), which covers all models of EP from EP-1 thru EP-4 {doesn't include the "Sireko", I think}. If anyone out there (on this forum) is interested/& has an EP, I'll copy it /mail it to you for copying/mailing costs only. This is my feeble effort towards trying to help keep existing EP's up and running. Send me a pm on this forum, or post here about it and I'll tell you how to get in touch and what you have to do to get the copied pages....fair enough?

LATER ....Later...later...later
Ray
Smallbox

Postby David B » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:09 pm

Ray,

Yeah the supply is finite and dwindling, if one really needs to have one better to have two or more for parts donors down the road! I did inquire about the tape but I suspect its similar as the TubePlex is an upgraded version of the EP2.

thanks
David B

Re: echoplex

Postby Smallbox » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:30 pm

HI again David (and All),
I have found that I actually have a pdf file of a very similar EP Service Manual here, which is a much better alternative than all of the copying, mailing etc. that I mentioned above. Not even sure where I got it !
So...anyway...
If you would like me to send you the file, ask away! (send a pm through the Forum)
I would only ask, in turn, that I can {please} see a picture of your Echoplex.... :mrgreen:

Have a good one!
Ray
Smallbox

Postby David B » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:17 pm

Ray,

Thanks much for the EP Service Manual, a must have for Echoplex owners
8)
David B

Postby Smallbox » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:02 am

(you're very welcome David! If the .pdf lacks info, I have the hardcopy which is slightly different....)

Also, just a "bump" for this thread...

And a reminder that I still have either the .pdf EP Service Manual files, or if you prefer
I can scan/copy my "hardcopy" EP Service manual files (or specific pages I suppose, such as if you need a schematic,etc.).

Am thinking of delving into the Echoplex a bit more and have some ideas:
offering EP cabinet repros for those units needing a box
starting picture site and/or database for EP's in general
(and so on....)
-As if I have the "spare time", :oops:

but anyway.... Since these units are getting rarer, scooped-up and bought up by many, torn apart, parted-out, etc. I thought that maybe others might be interested or even want to possibly cooperate in some small way-- :?:

Let me know, if you need info, want to discuss cooperating on starting pic/database ideas, etc via PM through this Forum.
Smallbox

Next

Return to Effects Pedals