Tuner

A place to discuss all the cool pedals we love to torture our amps with.

Tuner

Postby David B » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Any favorite tuners? This seems like the popular flavor right now, accurate enouph for use on the bench & compact for the pedal board.

http://www.turbo-tuner.com/index.htm

d
David B

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: Tuner

Postby dai h. » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:09 am

accuracy given at +/- .02 Cents, and the Peterson is +/- 0.1 (1/10th), so that looks pretty darn accurate. Neat-O. 8)
dai h.

Postby David B » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:10 pm

Ah knew you would check out the specs 8) yeah looks to be very accurate. Only complaint is that it's hard to read in direct sunlight..
David B

Postby dai h. » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:13 pm

I read this on wikipedia:

It is difficult to establish how many cents are perceptible to humans; this accuracy varies greatly from person to person. One author stated that humans can distinguish a difference in pitch of about 5-6 cents.[2] The threshold of what is perceptible, technically known as the just noticeable difference, also varies as a function of the timbre of the pitch: in one study, changes in tone quality reduced student musicians' ability to recognize as out-of-tune pitches that deviated from their appropriate values by ±12 cents.[3] It has also been established that increased tonal context enables listeners to judge pitch more accurately.

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent_%28music%29 )

and it struck me as a bit odd, since "5-6 cents" looks a heck of a lot coarser than the Turbo or Peterson. In my (limited) experience, it seemed as if one could develop a finer sense of pitch (and rhythm) with conditioning. At a certain point my Boss tuner (+/- 1 cent if mem. serves) seemed to not have enough resolution for doing something like setting the intonation. Also makes me wonder about someone with "perfect pitch". (What kind of accuracy would they have in cents?)
dai h.

Postby David B » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:53 pm

You bring up an interesting point, would someone become accustom to the finer tuning over time, maybe not right away and I bet it depends on the individual (in my case probably not at all :lol: ) but it seems +/-1 cent is goods enough for rock & roll..

Perfect pitch almost sounds like a curse, scroll down to possible problems..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_pitch

Merry Christmas
David B

Postby dai h. » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:47 am

To me the Boss (+/- 1 cent) seemed too coarse for setting intonation. (How good a method this is I'm not sure, but) I would use higher notes since they were easier to hear, and after I had finished, typically, chords played up high would sound good. And also fretting touch had to be neutral otherwise the fretted note would be inconsistent (comparing unisons and octaves all over the neck).

re: the problems, yeah I've heard of things like that driving people w/PP crazy. (What drove me crazy was one time I set the intonation for a Strat for an in-law (I don't have that great an ear so it takes me a long time.). Then of course, a few minutes after he starts retuning to match a song playing on a CD. Gaaaahhh! :lol: )

edit:

oh yeah, it is yesterday there isn't it? :lol: Merry Christmas! (more like Weirdness Christmas in Japan where it's an occasion for couples to book a room at a hotel and engage in um...extracurricular festivities. And for families getting a special meal like KFC Christmas specials or somesuch--the food part I don't mind--BRING ON THE CHICKEN AND STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE...IMMEDIATELY!!!). :mrgreen:
dai h.

Postby David B » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:04 pm

You set it by ear ! did that strat have a floating trem?

I set my strats with a TU12 which is also 1 cent but I'm always out of tune anyhow :lol:
Just got the Turbo tuner, see how that goes...

Festivities aren't that much different here depending what part of the country you're talking about :twisted:
David B

Postby dai h. » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:43 am

I think it was set up not to float. I just remember sitting with it for a long time with the radio on and (Boss) tuner hooked up (while trying to set the intonation), and after some time (after intonating to where it seemed satisfactory), I noticed some of the songs playing were in tune with the guitar but some were "off" (apparently slightly different in tuning). I think any beginner/novice would benefit greatly from learning how to set intonation and also learning about "tempered tuning" because unlike say, a piano (where you typically hire somebody to come and tune it), you have to do it yourself.

Festivities aren't that much different here depending what part of the country you're talking about :twisted:

I don't have anything against "hotel sleepovers" and KFC on Christmas, etc., but I guess it's kind of funny how culture and history develops--how traditions can be invented, influenced, appropriated, etc.
dai h.

Postby David B » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:42 pm

In those cases it’s mighty convenient to have a variable speed table or cassette.

Well gave the Turbo a spin, really is fast & accurate, pretty pleased with it so far. Next thing to check how it does at setting intonation.
David B

Return to Effects Pedals