Volto

A place to discuss all the cool pedals we love to torture our amps with.

Volto

Postby David B » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:35 pm

Looks like a good idea for a small board with not much current demands, any reports out there?

http://www.pedaltrain.com/products/power/volto.php
David B

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: Volto

Postby dai h. » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:18 am

interesting.

David, have you head about a new battery charger in development from an unnamed major electronics firm that will supposedly charge batteries on pet power? Here's the video making the rounds on the web (part of the recent Edward Snowden leaks). (Code name for this prototype is "Kittycharger 5000" projected for release in 2017-18.) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVjzd320gew

p.s. this is a VERY EARLY prototype
dai h.

Postby David B » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:37 pm

purrrrfect :lol:
David B

Postby dai h. » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:54 am

doggie version prototype (he isn't feeling up to it at the moment) :

You can do it Foofoo! Come on boy! Daddy's gotta charge his iPod!

Run! Run like the wind!

(Well, not up to it today huh? Here's a biscuit... Go back to your nap.)

(I know I am so lame... :oops: :lol: )
dai h.

Postby David B » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Puppy power :mrgreen: BTW been reading the Volto lasts about six hours if there is an always on pedal like a delay, on the plus side it appears to not add noise...
David B

Postby dai h. » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:32 pm

(on a more serious note...)

I think it sounds like a good idea in principle to have a compact rechargeable power supply to replace all the individual 9V batteries. One thing that I might worry about is the quality of the battery based on my experience with some cheap Chinese ones. (The ones I bought--AA sized IIRC) worked fine initially but didn't hold a charge after (what seemed like) not a particularly long time. After that, I bought Sanyo Eneloops, and they seemed much better at holding a charge. (I'm making the positive assumption that Pedaltrain wouldn't want to risk their reputation by using substandard batteries in a product, but I really don't know anything about them.) Of couse (my understanding) is that no rechargeable battery will last forever (I vaguely recall info such as, "good for 1,800 cycles", etc. written on the packaging) but it's certainly annoying/disappointing when you grab some to power up a digital camera or whatever and they don't work as they should!
dai h.

Postby David B » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Yeah I have experienced varying quality with rechargeable batteries for my camera, some lasting only a year when others would stand several years of use. Time will tell on the Volto, hope it does well, I like the idea of one less cable. Maybe they should have made it so the battery could be changed, so the player can swap em on the fly...
David B

Postby dai h. » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:38 am

David B wrote: Maybe they should have made it so the battery could be changed, so the player can swap em on the fly...

kind of another thing I wondered about. Is the battery portion replaceable (when it presumably wears out eventually)? Is it some odd thing or standard type used in notebook PCs, etc.? Sanyo had a product like this ("eneloop music booster"--I think this may have had another name overseas) which went out of production (as I understood). If the manufacturer stops making the product, is the buyer just left with an "empty husk"? I suppose though on the rechargeable battery front (in general) there should be developments to look forward to since it seems there needs to be significant improvement in performance to make things like electric-powered cars more viable (quicker recharges, longer lasting batteries, and so forth) and such needs driving technological development forward.
dai h.

Postby David B » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:21 am

It look to me like the battery portion isn't replaceable so when it wears out that's all folks... Cool concept but for now I'll stick to a power supply and regular ol batteries for fuzz & wah..
David B

Postby dai h. » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:22 am

was wondering if something real simple such as 7 eneloop (or whatever appropriate rechargeables), a cheap x8 AA battery holder (with one link shorted out) with a standard 2.1mm plug soldered on would work (eneloops give about 1.3V, so 1.3V x 7 batteries in series = 9.1V), or would it be too much of a PITA for the user to have to recharge them (and also, how much power could they supply and for how long)? (With optional dog/cat charge mode, of course.)
dai h.

Postby David B » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:57 am

I wouldn't be surprised if it's been done though I don't expect it was with optional dog/cat charge mode, maybe that's why it never went beyond the developmental stage :lol:
David B

Postby dai h. » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:37 am

awww...dangit. So much recreational power generating ability wasted! Dogergs and catergs and kittywatts. :mrgreen:
dai h.

Postby David B » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:25 pm

puppy puddles shorted the thing :shock: :lol:
David B

Postby dai h. » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:34 am

good point. Measures need to be taken for those unscheduled liquid emissions. :lol:
dai h.

Return to Effects Pedals