Fuzz Face choice

A place to discuss all the cool pedals we love to torture our amps with.

Fuzz Face choice

Postby neikeel » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:51 am

I have been listening to clips of different fuzz pedals to give my Marshalls a kick from cleanish to sustained dirtiness particularly in the live setting. I really like the smooth boost and tones that the Hendrix spec fuzz face gets. My BYOC Octave fuzz is very coarse with or without the octave setting (maybe tweakable) but it is just too vicious for my current needs.
The Dunlop FFM-3 looks to be a good bet (stock circuit - cant seem to find any gut shots ??) I like the status light and 9v feed for power plus pedal board friendly.
I put one on my pressie list but got a new SM57 instead (limited concession to my GAS at Christmas) as I want to be able to record clips and experiment with my own mic'ing up at gigs rather than having whatever is left after the vocalists and drummer are sorted, but i digress......
Anyone got one or tried one vs an orignal?
Neil
neikeel

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: Fuzz Face choice

Postby David B » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:49 pm

You could build a fuzz with sockets so you can sample transistors , or socket a FFM-3

I slapped this together for listening to devices, tonepad board with sockets.....I tend to like germaniums but a hybrid ge/si fuzz would be cool

David B

Postby David B » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:36 am

They are cute ....and cheap, go for it :D . What transistors? Oh OK here it is, BC108's.

http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/dunl ... 3993-p.asp

I had a Crest IIRC with those trannies, good sounding but for clean to mean stuff I prefer lower gain ge's...
David B

Postby Stu » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:29 am

Here's the germanium one (found on the web).

http://imageshack.us/a/img708/2154/ztot.jpg

Why not build one? You should have no trouble with that, especially a silicon one. I've done a couple in refinished Dunlop shells, but I'm not into the pedalboard thing... 8)

Stu

Postby neikeel » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:35 pm

I did think about building one.

I have the caps, resistors, jacks and pots (a spare 9-pin footswitch too, as I would like a warning light) and some spare board

I would need a shell and some transistors (the socket idea from Dave looks good for trialling).

I have looked for the shells before but no luck. I can get an FF3 mini for £99 inc postage...........

Sadly I play in a covers band and we seem to get more poppy every rehearsal/gig so I do need:
a couple of delay pedals (DD-3 for long times and Carbon copy for RB type slap back), a compressor for funky stuff and my TS-808 clone (again BYOC - which works well!) to get through our ever expanding repertoire. Still drag a 50w half stack ('67
JTM50 and '69 1935A) out
Nowadays I leave the EH Electric Mistress and Small Clone and EP-PRE out.

Oh and Stu - my old wah is still going strong after your attention to the pot :oops:.
Neil
neikeel

Postby David B » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Neil,

Not sure if your set on silicon transistors? I was thinking low gain germaniums to try because of you wanting fuzz that cleans up well and isn't over the top. My recollection of the Crest with silicon transistors is that it sounded great full up but didn't clean up well...

BTW Stu really nice looking Fuzz Faces :D
David B

Postby Stu » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks David.

Here's another one - a two in one. I prefer Fuzz Faces with batteries, so there's one for each circuit. The silicon side has BC183Ls, not much more gain than the germanium circuit, so it's not fizzy and brittle, and it cleans up nicely.

Stu

Postby David B » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:24 pm

Hi Stu,

Wow very nicely done & some substantial battery holders there. Cool having both types of fuzz at the flick of a switch :D

Admittedly I haven't tried lower gain si devices such as BC183Ls, have to give those a run next. Might be transistors Neil would want to audition..

David
David B

Postby neikeel » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Stu wrote:Thanks David.

Here's another one - a two in one. I prefer Fuzz Faces with batteries, so there's one for each circuit. The silicon side has BC183Ls, not much more gain than the germanium circuit, so it's not fizzy and brittle, and it cleans up nicely.

:shock:

What is that one called?
Neil
neikeel

Postby Stu » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:54 pm

neikeel wrote:
:shock:

What is that one called?

No name, I was asked to put Silicon and Germanium on it with AYE style lettering, so that's all it has.

Stu

Postby Brian Wallace » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Nice work as always Stu. :)
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby neikeel » Sat May 24, 2014 9:12 am

Stu wrote:Here's the germanium one (found on the web).

http://imageshack.us/a/img708/2154/ztot.jpg

Why not build one? You should have no trouble with that, especially a silicon one. I've done a couple in refinished Dunlop shells, but I'm not into the pedalboard thing... 8)

Ok Stu, so I am interested :lol:

Fuzz face or Tone bender Mk II (not both for now!!)

Anybody got opinions on Silicon vs Germanium for stability and longevity, NOS parts vs modern?

All advice gratefully received before I start (I built an Octafuzz from BYOC kit but far to coarse and harsh IMO to use usefully in most applications).
Neil
neikeel

Postby dai h. » Sun May 25, 2014 2:15 am

re: the octafuzz (which as I understand is an octavio clone) :

I built a GGG version some time ago and what I remember (hopefully useful) :

-the diodes need to be matched (I used diode check function and picked two matching for same voltage drop IIRC)

-the taper of the gain control seems very important (as with mic pres--the circuit actually seems to be from a console (Helios). If the resistance change is too sudden, it's much harder (or impossible) to finely tweak the amount of effect (so might try a "slugged"(LIN taper R w/R added to simulate reverse audio taper) or maybe an actual rev. audio taper pot.)

-some seller on ebay (with an original Tyco) claimed that increased values for some of the alu electros was making a difference. I tried increasing some of the values and (to my ear) this didn't seem anything particularly special.

-should be tweaking info at GGG(General Guitar Gadgets) and FBS org (should be a thread dissecting the Dunlop version that includes a schematic)

re: FFace cloning, the Matsushita Germaniums seemed to give a bit more "bendy" (gradual onset sort of like a Mullard ECC83 or EL34) distortion (maybe my imagination) compared to other Japanese ones I've tried. On the Ge vs. Si versions, it seems either has the potential to sound very good (with proper tweaking). Here again, a rev. audio taper for the Fuzz control might be a useful addition for finer tweaking of the amount of distortion (Throbak has one in their version IIRC).
dai h.

Postby neikeel » Sun May 25, 2014 11:26 am

Thanks Dai that is really useful (particularly about the Matsushitas) as I think that is kind of where I want to be; it was a Throbak that I really liked the tone of (with Les Paul RI and a Marshall - of course).

I must confess that I am a novice with pedals (a few years ago Stu was kind enough to fix my Crybaby as I had put a replacement pot in but not labelled the connections properly :roll: :oops: ). I did build a TS-808 clone that works really well and I still use it all the time in my gigging rig but the Octafuzz - and not knowing where to start tweaking kind of put me off, I like the old valve amp stuff restos and tweaking much more - when I have time.....

Edited for typos!
Neil
neikeel

Postby David B » Sun May 25, 2014 3:22 pm

I also like the Matsushitas but those BC183L peeked my interest in trying some si transistors. I also picked up some NKT's off ebay that sound good, clean up a bit better than the Matsushitas but both sound nice. Really good to socket em and get a pile to pick the pair you like the most IMO....I have a fuzz a friend made that uses a Matsushita 2SB175 and a STF352 that sounds really nice, mix & match :twisted:

db
David B

Next

Return to Effects Pedals