Fuzz Face choice

A place to discuss all the cool pedals we love to torture our amps with.

Re: Fuzz Face choice

Postby neikeel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Yes you are right I must do some clips.

No excuse now apart form time. I bought an SM57, interface for multitrack recording, have my Garageband sorted and have started to work out how to use it. Ideally would just set it up properly and leave it all ready to go but all my gear is in our guest annexe in large cupboards so goes in and out depending on needs (thought this house would have enough space for a 'me room'' but nearest I have to that is the garages and out houses, just shows that as they say you always need another lane on the swimming pool (no I don to have on of those :wink: )
Neil
neikeel

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Postby David B » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:49 pm

Please do when you have some time & space cleared in the outhouse :lol:
Do I really need another fuzz, well now I want another fuzz :twisted:
David B

Postby dai h. » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:10 am

no David, the fuzz needs you. :mrgreen:

like a "lost puppy fuzz". They need to be taken back to the "fuzz farm", so they can socialize, grow up, and be on...

"Fuzzfacebook". :oops:

(hmm...having evil thoughts...ways to market gear so purchases are more palatable to the significant other... :roll: :mrgreen: )
dai h.

Postby David B » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:20 am

fuzz farm ! :lol: I would like to try something other than the Fuzz Face types I have either a tonebender or an Axis fuzz....
David B

Postby dai h. » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:26 am

those are probably good choices. (Man, it's been ages since I've etched a PCB.)

(apologies to Spinal tap)

FUZZ FARM WOMAN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNQNF6rKnDk
dai h.

Postby David B » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:42 pm

I love Tap :twisted:

Think the axis or some derivative will be next, been watching Dave Weyer's thread at Metro with interest....

db
David B

Postby dai h. » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:26 am

yes, pretty interesting stuff. What do you think?

re: the 6550s, installing them doesn't seem to change the sound that much IME (dunno about if the PI and whatever else is modded for better drive, etc. though). Also, the only 6550 I've tried are the (seemingly common--or were common) GE6550A and (not so common) Sylvania (the Sylvania seem to have a relatively smoother sound). Never tried the (presumably--according to the 1969 (Woodstock) timeframe--apparently several years too early for the other makes) Tung-Sol, and they are typically way too expensive to buy just for fun these days.
dai h.

Postby David B » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:31 pm

If I'm reading this correctly the JTM45/100 would be a good candidate to try the 6550's in, would be good to get the ol T-Sols for the experiment if available for a reasonable price. Also curious about the fuzz mods..

Hey Merry Christmas :D
David B

Postby dai h. » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:53 am

I have thought that would be a good idea in the past since the B+ is apparently quite high (close to 600V). (Oh, and I would worry about the new production KT66 being tough enough, so from more of a reliability standpoint.)

Hey Merry Christmas :D

hey thanks, hope you had a good one. Year end/beginning here is sort of like Thanksgiving and Christmas in the States, so things are slowing down, people go back home to family, etc. Should drink some eggnog or something (i.e. any booze available) to get into the holiday spirit. :lol:
dai h.

Postby David B » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:02 pm

My 45/100 is still in storage but once I can once fire it up I'll try the lower 490V with modern KT66 & try the 6550 down the road, fuzz tweaks first..

Should drink some eggnog or something (i.e. any booze available) to get into the holiday spirit. :lol:

Yep gotta build up your training for New Years Eve :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Oh, Neil apologies for the thread detour :oops:
David B

Postby dai h. » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:04 pm

(must keep on fuzz topic? :oops: )

(my memory is a bit..uh..fuzzy... :oops: , but) my impression (from watching concert footage) on some of the early Hendrix stuff (presumably w/the JTM45/100), it seemed most of the distortion was from the Fuzz Face and the "raw sound"(of the amp) was very clean with it switched off.

(still Fuzz related! tangent...) what I like about the Fuzz Face circuit is how when you "pick scratch", it can sound like a jet roaring by; very huge and monstrous!
dai h.

Postby neikeel » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:14 am

David B wrote:My 45/100 is still in storage but once I can once fire it up I'll try the lower 490V with modern KT66 & try the 6550 down the road, fuzz tweaks first..

Should drink some eggnog or something (i.e. any booze available) to get into the holiday spirit. :lol:

Yep gotta build up your training for New Years Eve :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Oh, Neil apologies for the thread detour :oops:

That is how threads develop! My effort so far is very much a Tonebender so next up will be to gut my Octafuzz box and rebuild as a proper Fuzzface, time escapes me :x
Neil
neikeel

Postby David B » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:42 am

OK cool, I get sidetracked easily & didn't want to derail ..

Yeah Hendrix stuff does sound like he used the fuzz for most of the dirt. Check out this later gig, Stockholm 1969..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co0Mc5CrMcc
David B

Previous

Return to Effects Pedals