Fuzz Face choice

A place to discuss all the cool pedals we love to torture our amps with.

Re: Fuzz Face choice

Postby dai h. » Mon May 26, 2014 7:14 am

one thought that occurs with the Si, or specifically an aversion that someone out there (in general) might have to trying them just because they are Silicon (and solid state), is that the topology (the way the parts are hooked up) can have an effect on the amount of distortion (and *I think* the transition from clean to distortion). Basically Si Fuzz can sound good (if well tweaked--but probably these are less fussy and more temp. stable than Germanium) due to the topology, while something like an op-amp has the potential to sound horrible when clipped (they have a "differential input"(helps with keeping noise low and results in lower distortion compared to "single-ended"), typically lots of feedback, plus other bits to get them to "behave" and have low distortion). Also, the onset of distortion can be more sudden with an op-amp and not something gradual. (Op-amps aren't "bad" but it just depends on the outcome you are going for.)

On closer examination, lots of the "vintage approved" type gear is in fact solid state (wahs, fuzzes, Univibe, classic mic pres), so don't be afraid of transistors!

Also, when it comes to obtaining pairs for the FF, buying a (matched, tested) pair from a reputable vendor might be a better choice if time is scarce. I did a couple hundred some time ago (I had amassed here and there them over years) and it is worth doing to help get a better more consistent result, but could be a bit tedious waiting for readings to stabilize and such (swapping them carefully without shorting leads--I think I killed several this way).
dai h.

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Postby David B » Tue May 27, 2014 11:37 am

Dai,

I like si as well just prefer the ge for the cleanup but Stu mentioned the BC183's have a nice cleanup as well so something to look into.
Having both is nice for different sounds as in the above Castledine fuzz..

Regarding the leads shorting I use some color coded tubing to prevent such things and to be sure I' m plugging the things in correctly :oops: here is my latest stomper & you can see the tubing bits on the upper right...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj10 ... 583f4a.jpg

db
David B

Postby dai h. » Wed May 28, 2014 12:12 am

yes definitely a good idea to help prevent the mistake! (Sorry I wasn't clear, in my case I meant I shorted them while I was testing the numerous transistors. I think it was just more likely to happen when dealing with so many over a long period of time. Tiredness, distractions, not paying attention at that moment, etc...kaBOOOM! Oops... :oops: :mrgreen: )

p.s. nice looking build!
dai h.

Postby David B » Wed May 28, 2014 4:50 am

Nah I wasn't clear :oops: the tubing is only for testing & they come off after testing.
David B

Postby dai h. » Thu May 29, 2014 11:23 am

be safe not shorted...lead condom protection... now in your choice of three colors.

:oops: :lol:

As long as not flavours too...........

I am going to make a Tone bender clone with a little help.
If you like I will record my progress as we go, and if you are really unlucky I will have my recording set up sorted too :roll:
dai h.

Postby neikeel » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:24 am

Now that is weird!

I posted the above using Dai's quotation marks regarding the coloured tubing and added my comment and plans but the whole post came up as being from Dai, very curious.

Having taken advice (from the man who knows....) looks like the build will be a n OC81D equipped MkII.
Neil
neikeel

Postby David B » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:40 am

That is very odd indeed, Ah a MkII, always wanted to try one. Are OC81D somewhat rare ?

Looking forward to some clips :D
David B

Postby David B » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:41 am

dai h. wrote:be safe not shorted...lead condom protection... now in your choice of three colors.

:oops: :lol:

As long as not flavours too.....

Well if ya can't remember what color is what :lol:
David B

Postby dai h. » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:06 am

ack! Please don't repeat my tired brain cringe-worthy joke... :oops: (hmm I guess Neil's is funnier!) :lol:

(ooh, re: the post, yes that IS weird!)

anyway (back to the FF topic), in regards to the fuzz range, I was wondering if it would possibly be useful (in order to have finer control over the amount of distortion) to...

a) use a pot with limited range (i.e. doesn't allow the fuzz control to all the way down to "0"--the reasoning here is if someone never uses that range, they won't miss it) that has a value/taper which gives more control over the exact voltage divider ohms to allow greater exploitation of the somewhat distorted to fully distorted range (sort of like what the "parkhead mod" seems to do),

b) or have another extra smaller value pot in series with the main fuzz pot sort of like (might not be wired this way, but) the "trim" controls on pricier mic pres (some have a "fine" trim in addition to a coarser gain range control)

(This isn't something I've actually worked out, but if say the exact Fuzz control position the user wants is basically impossible to obtain if the carbon (or whatever material) track of the pot being used isn't graduated enough for the wiper to hit the exact spot as it travels over the resistance range (say someone wants "a hair difference" and that turns out to equate to a tiny ohms difference), something like the above (or use of a different taper) might have to be done. Just a thought from reading about problems with mic pre gain controls.)
dai h.

Postby David B » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:53 am

What is a parkhead mod, a type of mod to adjust the pot taper?
David B

Postby dai h. » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:16 pm

it adds a resistor across the two lugs that don't go to ground, so changes the value of the pot when the R is in circuit (when not shorted out with the pot on "10"; makes it a bit lower so loads down the triode a bit more and should lower the bass a bit, plus has some affect on the taper--maybe the main benefit (to allow finer tweaking of the transition area from gain to dirty). I don't think it did quite what he thought it was doing, but as long as it does something useful, what the hey!

(on a related note of something that doesn't work quite how it was conceived...) :oops:

b) or have another extra smaller value pot in series with the main fuzz pot sort of like (might not be wired this way, but) the "trim" controls on pricier mic pres (some have a "fine" trim in addition to a coarser gain range control)

on second thought, I don't think this is going to work.

anyway, here is a useful Fuzz Face link:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/emh/emh.html
dai h.

Postby neikeel » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:41 pm

Looks like this is my starting point:

Nothing original but pretty well tried and tested.

Guess 47uF instead of 64uF and 0.01uF instead of the 0.015uFs and due to supply issues OC75s.

I have a big bag of metal case transistors - some where? :evil:
Neil
neikeel

Re: Fuzz Face choice (pics added)

Postby neikeel » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Ok so it was not a Fuzz Face at all in the end. I went over lots of clips and specs. After discussion with Mr Castledine we came up with this:

My first attempt at a pedal like this (the BYOCs don't really count) and I am very pleased. I made the logos with a waterside photocopy kit and sealed them with lacquer.
Lots of pics to show the connections and layout. Stu sent me a set of matched 0C75s. It works brilliantly. I have found that setting it with unity gain is about 2o'clock on the level and the fuzz set at between 10 and 11 o'clock with my JTM50 running at 3 or so I can go from clean to mean and have some control. Going higher on the fuzz seems to add more filth and background and means it cleans up less well. Stu said I could add a 50k pot on the collector of Q2 (instead of the 47k) for increased smoothness but at the expense of bite, and I really like the spitting snarl that you can get with these.
Neil
neikeel

Postby dai h. » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:17 am

nice. Thanks for sharing the pics! Luxuriant mojo. 8)
dai h.

Postby David B » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Very nicely done 8) I gotta build one of those one day.

Clips man
David B

PreviousNext

Return to Effects Pedals