Fuzz Face [web article, bit of history, specs]

A place to discuss all the cool pedals we love to torture our amps with.

Fuzz Face [web article, bit of history, specs]

Postby dai h. » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:01 am

saw this over at FBS. Looks interesting:

http://jvg13.wordpress.com/the-arbiter- ... e-1966-68/
dai h.

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: Fuzz Face [web article, bit of history, specs]

Postby David B » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Nice compilation of fuzz face info , cool stuff. What I found interesting was he states NKT271's were sold as matched pairs and there was a possibility Arbiter didn't need to match transistors 8)
David B

Postby Stu » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Ha, that's my red BC183KA one. I posted these on the D*A*M forum a while back.

I've never heard of NKT275s in pairs, but who knows.
Stu

Postby dai h. » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:32 am

David B wrote:Nice compilation of fuzz face info , cool stuff. What I found interesting was he states NKT271's were sold as matched pairs and there was a possibility Arbiter didn't need to match transistors 8)

I suppose it might depend on what the matching done was suitable for (possibly it was more for push pull stages or something like that as opposed to matching for a Fuzz Face type circuit). Also, (as I understand) when transistors were new they were expensive, so that plus the cost (to manf. and end user/purchaser) may have made them pricey and less attractive. (From my memory) Paul Guy (an English luthier based in Sweden) shared his recollections from around the time when they were new on one of the old newsgroups(alt.guitar?), and according to him, many new ones didn't work very well, so if Arbiter did do some matching (judging from that "earwitness" account at least) it sounds like they didn't do a particularly good job of it. Also, I think the state of not "working out of the box" was also true according to Roger Mayer, so that would seemingly point to additional evidence of the stock units not being particularly "tuned". Wonder if the newer "digital wonderboxes" are going to be good enough to satify, or if (judging from various fuzz related threads) that tastes are so particular that one size(digital emulation) won't fit all. (Actually I'm not really certain if there are digital fuzzes yet :oops: :lol: though I do know digital distortion has existed for decades--the old Yamaha REX and SPX50 digital multi-efx had one such program).
dai h.

Postby David B » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:38 pm

Got a point there and judging from Paul's comments it’s not likely the transistors were selected for hfe/leakage then fine tuned by ear the way many now do. No experience with the digital stuff….
David B

Return to Effects Pedals