789-84 install

A place to discuss wiring, installation, diagrams and so on.

789-84 install

Postby Mars Hall » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:06 am

Getting geared to install my new Transformer. I noticed the Marstran has an extra tap compared to the original PT. Is it safe to assume the 240v tap is the one that doesn't get hooked up? If that is true, are all the the other taps in the same place as the original, so the hook ups will be in the same layout? Also is there a specific polarity to the 2 black hard wires that go to the rectifier?
"You just slide a bottle up and down 'til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it 'til you've got it down." Duane Allman
Mars Hall

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: 789-84 install

Postby Brian Wallace » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:53 am

I had this PT upgraded to have more primary selections than the standard 120/240 set up on the original. If you are in the US, just wire the common to the 0 tap and the Hot to the 120 tap. The two black wires are the 5V taps for the tube rectifier and they can be wired without concern to polarity.
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby Mars Hall » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:23 am

To confirm, is it the "hot" side that goes to the fuse? The indicator lamp gets hooked up to those same taps? There is no need for the jumper wires, as shown in the provided SDM layout? If I understand correctly, there should only be 2 taps used on that side of the PT. The other side of the PT is hooked the same as this layout? Thanks for your help.

"You just slide a bottle up and down 'til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it 'til you've got it down." Duane Allman
Mars Hall

Postby Brian Wallace » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:05 pm

Yes, wire the PT from the IEC socket as you see it. The Blue wire is the common and goes to the 0 or common solder lug on the PT while the Brown wire is the Hot or Line and goes to the 120VAC solder lug on the PT. If the indicator is a 6 volt one. it will be wired to the heaters, if it is a 120V one, it will be wired to the common and 120V tap. If it's a 220V one, it will be wired to the common and 220V tap and so on. The drawing shows a 120V indicator.

Here is a drawing explaining how the original PT can be wired, this example is for the primary coil only.

Here is an example of a PT with a series wound primary coil.

Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby Mars Hall » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:49 pm

I finished installing my PT today. I measured 448v on the plates, biased at 38ma. :D Just what this amplifier needed. Really woke up the volume, with added headroom. The original PT only supplied 410v to the plates on a good day.
Mars Hall

Postby Brian Wallace » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:28 am

Very cool. 8)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Return to Marstran Transformers