JTM45/100 Chassis

A place to discuss wiring, installation, diagrams and so on.

JTM45/100 Chassis

Postby Brian Wallace » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:13 pm

I have finalized the price of this chassis, the cost will be $110 each. I will need at least ten orders to be able to make this run feasible. If you have an interest in this chassis, please reply to this post. If this goes well, I can move on to other chassis such as the JTM45, metal 50W, and other 100W chassis.

I would also like to discuss certain changes that would make the chassis better such as an IEC cut out and cage nut cut outs. Fell free to comment on this.
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: JTM45/100 Chassis

Postby Roe » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:24 pm

the cage nuts seem to be a good idea, but the IEC is not necessary IMO. are you planning to do a block end chassis or a welded chassis?
Roe

Postby neikeel » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Brian Wallace wrote:I would also like to discuss certain changes that would make the chassis better such as an IEC cut out and cage nut cut outs. Feel free to comment on this.

Cage nuts = good
IEC cut out = bad

By all means supply a template for builders but it will totally alienate those people who want to make vintage replicas. Adding it as an option would work, but I think that would add to the cost?

At that price it would probably be a folded alloy chassis.
Block ends are expensive to cast/machine.
Welded or even just spot welded corners are a good idea with a 1204-43 and 1202-84 sitting on top of it :wink:
Neil
neikeel

Postby Brian Wallace » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Hmmmm, I like the detachable IEC cord, why the hate?

I know some people will want the original chassis and I can try to do this on this run but would rather have the chassis have folded over tabs that are spot welded like the later steel ones for strength. Cage nuts are way better than the offset holes that are on the original.

The cast block ends are really a rare thing and would add to the cost so I think it's not something that would have a draw factor to try to make and stock.
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby kentwde » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:13 am

Personally I'd prefer the IEC on all my amps but I it seems like a period correct version would be a lot more valuable to builders in general wanting to make it just exact and therefore more marketable in general. I have a square punch so making the IEC plug for myself would be no problem.

Is this an steel or aluminum chassie? (Sorry I don't know my lineage that well) I guess the question I am really asking is would this work for a 12 series or is this a completely different era? (I'm looking to get a 12 series)
kentwde

Postby Brian Wallace » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Well period correct would be a round bulgin connector and I think an IEC can be used with this hole. Is the bulgin hole OK?

The chassis will be aluminum as opposed to the 12 series steel version. I would think you could use the 45/100 for a 12 series build but it would be better to do a run of these next if there is a demand for it.
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby neikeel » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Brian Wallace wrote:Hmmmm, I like the detachable IEC cord, why the hate?

No not hate, just think that it will narrow the appeal for some people (like me) who feel that if they are making a true vintage replica then you should try to keep to the concept.
I have IEC on most domestic stuff - no issue :wink:

Brian Wallace wrote:The cast block ends are really a rare thing and would add to the cost so I think it's not something that would have a draw factor to try to make and stock.

Yes thought so - watch out for my block end 50watter - when my iron arrives 8)
Neil
neikeel

Postby Brian Wallace » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:51 pm

OK, I'll make them with everything old except the cage nuts. As I have said to other people, if you have ever tried putting one of these chassis into a cab, you will appreciate the cage nut. :wink:

So, what I need now is commitment to order. How many people here want this chassis? I have three confirmed through email so far. I will need payment before the run is finished and this is a three week process.

Once this run is complete I can work on the next chassis. I think there is a demand for the 68 100W chassis but will need the same ten orders before the run can be started.
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby shakti » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:35 am

Well done for taking this on! I don't need a 45/100 chassis, but will definitely be down for a steel 50W and 100W (68-style) chassis.

I don't mind an IEC cutout, but if this is something that could be done on request that would satisfy both those who want to do it as the originals with a round Bulgin socket, or a modern IEC style, that would be the best. However, that would require that you invest in a Bulgin-size punch and an IEC style punch...If your stock chassis was made with a small hole for hardwired power cord, I wouldn't mind paying a $10 upcharge for a chassis readily punched with either size hole.
shakti

Postby Brian Wallace » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:58 am

Can I get a show of hands to get an accurate number on how many people want a 45/100 chassis?
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby AJW » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:36 pm

I would like one! I registered when I saw this on another forum. I hope you get enough takers for the greenlight.
AJW

Postby wdelaney72 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:23 am

What about a blank / undrilled steel 100w chassis? I'd like one or two of those
wdelaney72

Postby Brian Wallace » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:31 am

AJW,

I'll mark you down for one.

I can get blanks made later but right now I'm working on this 45/100 chassis. You can find blanks here but they are made 6.5 inches wide instead of 6.70. http://www.turretboards.com/

As I have said before, I can get any chassis made but I need at least ten people to commit to the order.
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby Roe » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:54 pm

I'd love to build another super 100 amp but am unable to commit right now (finished phd recently and have only a part-time position right now)
Roe

Postby LouderStill » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:14 pm

Just joined! Count me in for one!

- Paul
LouderStill

Next

Return to Marstran Transformers