Premier Guitar JTM45 round up

A place to discuss Wallace amps.

Premier Guitar JTM45 round up

Postby Brian Wallace » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:26 pm

Look for this article coming up in an upcoming issue of Premier Guitar. It will feature my BKW45 as well as a few other JTM45 makers out there. 8)
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: Premier Guitar JTM45 round up

Postby Brian Wallace » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:25 pm

This article should be out in a few months. It should prove to be very interesting. :)
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby David B » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:03 pm

Looking forward to it's release :D
David B

Postby Brian Wallace » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:26 pm

The paper and electronic issue are now available. http://digital.premierguitar.com/premierguitar/200905_1/?fm=2
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby Smallbox » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:35 pm

Nice to read something about your Wallace Amp in that article, Bri...
Congratulations! It would figure that the amp sent for review would be slightly damaged
in transit! At least they DID mention that fact, and especially that the amp still performed perfectly
for the review and came out "like a Champ" (pardon the pun)...
Anyway...LONG overdue!

Ray
Smallbox

Postby Brian Wallace » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:18 am

Thanks Ray, you can imagine how I felt when I was told it was man handled in shipping. :evil: Yet another set back...DAMN! I feel I got a fair review even though it was only suppose to be a round up. :)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby David B » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:36 am

Brian,

Congrats on the write up , sorry the amp got beat up in transit :evil: but despite that it performed flawlessly and received a great review.Damn tough amp
8)
David B

Postby dai h. » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:13 am

okay, I have to play devil's advocate here. :twisted:

I can accept the subjective conclusions but as for the amps--these do not appear to be quite so 'apples to apples' in comparative terms namely because if you look at the chassis pics closely, some of the circuit values appear to be different, so I'm not really sure you could call that a "JTM45 roundup".

-the original JTM45 appears modded/molested. There may be an extra cathode bypass cap at V2a(hard to make out for certain)

-what I can see from the reissue leads me to believe that the intension was to basically mod the amp towards the later 1987(split cathodes, EL34s installed) circuit. If it sounds good that way great, but... :roll:

-Wallace was described as "darker". MetroAmp, Metropoulos both have a pot cap. Wallace doesn't appear to. Would have liked to hear impressions with a pot cap on (say a cap with alligator clip ends).

-also, would have liked to known the specific tubes(article basically says new production) for the Wallace
dai h.

Postby Vintageheadbox » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:45 pm

Congrats Brian.. Great Exposure :wink:
Vintageheadbox

Postby swankmotee » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:17 am

Kudos on finally getting some prime time action on your fine sounding amps! It's about time and it looks like you definitely got the extra love in the form of the "damage" article which helped you come up smellin' like a rose! I'm sure you'll be getting alot of renewed interest in your work from here on out so go get'um!
www.myspace.com/tommyhatcher for the sound of THUNDRIN' Marshall 100 watters!
swankmotee

Postby Brian Wallace » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:37 pm

Dai,

I don't use a bright cap on the volume because I think it makes the amp too bright. This goes for my 66 as well, it's just too bright with it on the pot. When the amp is cranked the cap doesn't even matter really.
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby dai h. » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:46 am

thanks Brian :) IIRC that guy with the vintage Les Paul in Germany and the super YouTube clips--Ingo Dirkschneider...(errrp, no that's something to do with the Accept guy :lol: ). UDO(!), yes that's it. :oops: Udo the Pipper. Anyway his apparently had none so I've no doubt sans bright cap(s) can sound good(or great). 8)
dai h.

Postby David B » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:34 am

swankmotee wrote:it looks like you definitely got the extra love in the form of the "damage" article which helped you come up smellin' like a rose!

takes a lickin and keeps on tickin 8)
David B

Postby 908ssp » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:02 am

I thought the article was pretty fair. I like that they mentioned differences without making the subject judgment of "best". I know some people want that but I don't think it exists. I would have liked the article to be more technical. Like pointing out the absence of the bright cap and therefore making sure to test the amps at full volume where the bright cap doesn't matter. But some people will want the darker amp so being somewhat unique is a benefit.

It was pointed out to me that the original JTM45 in this test might actually have a 139 OT which makes it pretty far from original if that is the case it really throws this comparison in the garbage. The wire colors don't jive with what one would expect from a 103 transformer. There is just too much importance in the mind of the reader that being close to the original is the goal and if the goal is in the wrong place you loose, if you get my drift. That is very unfortunate as these articles are always regarded as some kind of holy grail in authority. Also if true shows how totally ignorant of any technical aspect the testers were.
Last edited by 908ssp on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Alex

Spelling and punctuation do matter.
908ssp

Postby swankmotee » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:45 pm

908ssp wrote:I thought the article was pretty fair. I like that they mentioned differences without making the subject judgment of "best". I know some people want that but I don't think it exists. I would have liked the article to be more technical. Like pointing out the absence of the bright cap and therefore making sure to test the amps at full volume where the bright cap doesn't matter. But some people will want the darker amp so being somewhat unique is a benefit.

It was pointed out to me that the original JTM45 in this test might actually have a 139 OT which makes it pretty far from original if that is the case it really throws this comparison in the garbage. The wire colors don't jive with what one would expect from a 103 transformer. There is just too much importance in the mind of the reader that being close to the original is the goal and if the goal is in the wrong place you loose, if you get my drift. That is very unfortunate as these articles are always regarded as some kind of holy grail in authority. Also if true shows how totally ignorant of any technical aspect the testers were.

A BIG AMEN to that!
www.myspace.com/tommyhatcher for the sound of THUNDRIN' Marshall 100 watters!
swankmotee

Next

Return to Wallace Amplification