interesting layout ideas

Repairs, trouble shooting, modding and so on.

interesting layout ideas

Postby dai h. » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:14 pm

1) cutting a little rectangular piece in the traditional fender ground plate to act as a lug:

http://climaxcabinets.blog77.fc2.com/bl ... 00812.html

2) an evolution of the heater wiring method in the soldano SLO100:

http://www.roccaforteamps.com/ultra-50.html

same paralleled runs as SLO but long portions run OUTSIDE the amp through use of extra holes added to chassis. Also, it appears that insulated flat braided wire is used to make the connections (was thinking of a good use for this type wire for a while). The advantage over the thick solid core wire used (the way it looks to me) is a) the (assumedly) braided wire absorbs vibration so I think this should be less stressful on the solder joints and thus more reliable, and b) easier to change sockets than with the thick solid core wire. Extra effort is required to drill the holes but overall looks like a clever evolution of the SLO wiring.
dai h.

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: interesting layout ideas

Postby Brian Wallace » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:36 pm

I don't care for that heater layout at all. :|
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby dai h. » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:42 pm

lol. That's cool. (but how come? i.e. what do you see problematic about it?)
dai h.

Postby Brian Wallace » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:18 pm

I guess I'm looking at it from a UL perspective and not any other way. I just wouldn't run voltage wires outside of the chassis.
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby dai h. » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:37 pm

are you seeing the length of the wires as a problem or is the focus somewhere else? The speaker wires for instance though, (although not a constant current flow) are outside and could be run somewhat long (like in a combo).
dai h.

Postby Brian Wallace » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:51 pm

Speaker wires are not an issue as far as shock hazard goes. A voltage source with an 8 amp capability seems like trouble waiting to happen. Just my thoughts but of course this does not matter if the amp is not intended to be sold commercially.
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby Maschine » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:37 pm

I'm with you on that Brian, murphys law and all that; if those wires can get nicked/pulled/chafed/yanked - they will. I don't see any appreciable hum reduction benefit either, if your heater runs are as low as possible against the chassis and you keep your input grids off of them and crossed at 90's I'd bet it's a wash.
.....if it doesn't have tubes.....
Maschine

Postby dai h. » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:04 am

yeah i suppose that presents a bigger risk. Not sure if that doesn't make a difference though since it's got five preamp tubes (looking like there could be very high gain). Could be that every little bit matters more with super high gain (if it is as it appears to be).
dai h.

Postby dai h. » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:59 am

I guess (like a lot of things,) running heater wiring outside the chassis isn't really new, apparently:

http://ax84.com/bbs/index.php?id=405597
dai h.

Return to Amp Spa