Understanding Speaker Cables [Pro Co Sound article link]

Repairs, trouble shooting, modding and so on.

Understanding Speaker Cables [Pro Co Sound article link]

Postby dai h. » Fri May 01, 2015 6:45 pm

by Pro Co Sound (includes bibliography/references) :

http://www.procosound.com/download/whit ... Cables.pdf
dai h.

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: Understanding Speaker Cables [Pro Co Sound article link]

Postby David B » Sat May 02, 2015 8:55 pm

Good stuff, so I guess 2ft of 17AWG vacuum cleaner cord is good for a 50 watter..
David B

Postby dai h. » Mon May 04, 2015 1:31 pm

vacuum cleaner?

"Tone Sweeper" speaker cable?

(hmm...on second thought, that wouldn't advertise very well, would it? :mrgreen: )

From my reading, my understanding was that twisted pair is good (to help keep the signal isolated--routing the going/coming wire together and twisting results in less inductance). Routing is important for stability (so no paralleling with the guitar cable). Maybe mechanical considerations are another thing to think about. I've seen "beefed up" spk. wire (i.e. fatter wire) used, and sometimes the wire used looks like it could be a strain on the lugs/contacts (I'd worry about it breaking off under stress, say being moved around in a van or such vehicle).

If you used gargantuan wire these days, I'd be worried about being a victim of copper theft :lol: (well, probably not enough to be attractive, but copper theft seems to be pretty rampant worldwide at present).
dai h.

Postby David B » Mon May 04, 2015 1:48 pm

Yep good ol 17AWG & because the jacket has serrations its easy to ID and not accidentally use guitar cord for the speakers.
I do have some 12AWG Kimber wire for those cork sniffing moments :lol: those are twisted so perhaps better at noise cancellation, might have to do a comparison.

I like Neutriks plugs as its easy take em apart and inspect for damage..

Should I hide my cables? :shock:
David B

Postby dai h. » Tue May 05, 2015 2:11 pm

there seems to be a lot of metal theft all over (the world) in recent years. Not very long ago, there was a case where a solar farm was ripped off of their copper cable. Apparently this wasn't some small length that could be easily carried but quite a bit that needed trucks to be hauled off. Also, it was apparently stuff in use and energized, so had to be someone involved who knew what they were doing technically. Things like big (brass?) bells from temples (the ones that make a "gong" sound) have been stolen also. Seems pretty annoying/exasperating for anyone using anything with large amounts of metal.

Oh yeah, some component leads apparently changed from copper to copper coated steel partly due to this IIRC (the copper coated steel wire is apparently less attractive to thieves). I noticed that with some ceramic capacitors (same manf., value, voltage) where some had non-magnetic leads and some did.

(more of my totally non-expert vague (and free) nerd knowledge... :roll: ) :

re: outputs (as it mentions in the article) outputs are typically low impedance and high signal level which make them less susceptible to RF ingress, but apparently could be a potential problem particularly for wide bandwidth, high feedback amps (guitar amps typically aren't so maybe not so much to worry about?). (Maybe the basic message is to not make input/output loop antennas (side by side wire and twisting keeps loop area small), and especially to *not* make hoop antennas (i.e. the worst possible would be to use paralleled wire and rip them in half and spread them apart to make a big physical hoop) where unwanted signals could more easily ride in.)

(The spk. wire twisting bit I read on a Jensen Transformers technical paper dealing with noise IIRC.)
dai h.

Postby David B » Mon May 11, 2015 2:46 pm

Dai,

Found more speaker wire info geared more to HiFi.
Scroll down to the bottom & there's more about copper theft.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
David B

Postby dai h. » Tue May 12, 2015 12:18 am

hey,

thanks for the link!

re: metal theft, other stuff I recall having been stolen are metal railings (steel?) along roadsides, outdoor (heat exchange unit? (copper piping, I think)) parts of air cons. Pretty crazy.
dai h.

Postby David B » Mon May 18, 2015 1:05 pm

Apparently whatever isn't nailed down is fair game & seems to be a problem all over.
David B

Postby dai h. » Tue May 19, 2015 8:16 am

wow even gas canisters. Would be pretty dang annoying if something like that happened.
dai h.

Return to Amp Spa