GEC 6V6 revisisted- Bryan? Others?

NOS, modern, dating and identifying.

GEC 6V6 revisisted- Bryan? Others?

Postby Jeff West » Wed May 27, 2009 9:30 pm

In an earlier thread we were discussing ones like this (courtesy KCA):

http://www.kcanostubes.com/pictures/222c/NOS-GEC-6V6G--Matched-Pair.jpg

I wasn't sure, Bryan, do you have memory of these actually being manufactured by GEC, at Hammersmith or elsewhere?

I've seen very similar with British Tungsram (T) and Ferranti (R) mil coding (with the arrow), and also Mullard branded with "D" suggestive of Mitcham.

Although the "ZA 5306" is commonly interpreted as a GEC date code (including by me, in the past), it clearly isn't, but a specific 6V6 identifier (readily confusing because some of these "ZA 5306 6V6s do have obvious 1953 dating on the boxes!). You indicated it's a "cross reference stores number", right? And "10E/349 is also a "stores #" specific to 6V6G type? I've noticed many different "10E" numbers specific to other valve types. Any clarifying explanations or additional info welcomed!

I really like those in some 6V6 guitar amps.

Jeff
Jeff West

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: GEC 6V6 revisisted- Bryan? Others?

Postby BryanL » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:39 am

Hi, Jeff , you got me all intrigued by this ZA numbering confusion, and so I tried to find a definitive answer to it. I found this item, from 1946, and (hopefully) have attached it to this posting. The system didn't like a pdf file, so it is a jpeg by a long and devious route! I had to reduce the dpi to get it to be visible on screen, but it still looks readable.

za stuff2a.jpg

It shows some of the UK Government Valve (tube) identifications at the end of WWll. The CV numbers were introduced from about 1941. There were competing systems between the different services at the same time! KT66s appear with Valve Transmitting nunmbers (VT) and some with Valve Receiving numbers (VR). (Transmitter Modulator and Audio Output perhaps?)

Try this link (http://www.tubecollector.org/cv/1963/), some form of "equivalents" list appears.

There is a tube picture somewhere of a 6V6-looking type with UK Ministry of War markings that has a code reading "ZOKF" next to the 10E/ type number. Can't find it now, but will search again.

Bryan
BryanL

Re: GEC 6V6 revisisted- Bryan? Others?

Postby Jeff West » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:46 am

Thanks Bryan- That's quite pertinent and informative, as usual.

Quite a few of these seem to be identified as "ZA 5306 and 6V6G only.

Really nice valves.

Jeff
Jeff West

Return to Tubes