Very early alloy chassis EL34 amp

Is this amp a lash up? Is it original? You get the point.

Re: Very early alloy chassis EL34 amp

Postby David B » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:52 pm

Yup plus radio & audio guys do it all the time 8) the silver can on the left marked db cap has a 16uf Sprague in there.Seen Fenders get re stuff Mallory filters often.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27
David B

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Postby neikeel » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:02 am

So is there a tutorial of dos and don'ts?

To get a clean cut I would use a dremel like a can opener at one end and then scrape out the foil and electrolyte, then drill a small hole in the other end to feed the axial wire through. Probably use epoxy resin to seal the end?

Does that sound right?
Neil
neikeel

Postby dai h. » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:03 am

one possible caveat I thought about that practice of hiding a new cap inside an old one is, what if someone comes along later on when the amp is out of your hands (sold, etc.) and they look at it and think, "hey, these are real old and should be replaced!"? :lol: (Especially if you do an expert job of making it look untouched.)
dai h.

Postby David B » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:46 pm

neikeel wrote:So is there a tutorial of dos and don'ts?

To get a clean cut I would use a dremel like a can opener at one end and then scrape out the foil and electrolyte, then drill a small hole in the other end to feed the axial wire through. Probably use epoxy resin to seal the end?

Does that sound right?

Neil,

Sounds like you have done the job already :wink: Yes basically that's it, I used Weldbond epoxy to glue the cap back together and added new solder terminals held on by brass bolts.. I don't have a link but there is information out there on various ways people have done this
David B

Postby David B » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:47 pm

dai h. wrote:one possible caveat I thought about that practice of hiding a new cap inside an old one is, what if someone comes along later on when the amp is out of your hands (sold, etc.) and they look at it and think, "hey, these are real old and should be replaced!"? :lol: (Especially if you do an expert job of making it look untouched.)

Very good point, I put a date on mine but that's no guarantee the next owner will read the bloody thing :shock:
David B

Previous

Return to Auctions