RS 560pf

Is this amp a lash up? Is it original? You get the point.

RS 560pf

Postby David B » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:34 pm

David B

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: RS 560pf

Postby dai h. » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:30 am

the micas used (in vintage Marshalls) probably have less of an audible effect (change) on the sound than the ceramics (the non-temp. compensating type). Well, probably no point rationalizing with someone who would actually pay such a high price for "mojo ("vintage exact", "authentic", etc.) components.
dai h.

Postby David B » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Yeah but it looks good :lol: however it isn't really period correct for a plexi is it?
David B

Postby dai h. » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:21 am

well, if you're picking nits... :mrgreen:

If "7807" means 1978 July, then I suppose it's a little late to be "TRULY AUTHENTIC". :lol:

I have some Japanese ones with the same sort of construction (I can recall at least two, maybe three makers with the same basic brown, wax-covered?, rectangular package) and I haven't noticed anything special (perhaps my ears aren't golden enough). Of course, someone will think it wasn't a remotely valid comparison since they weren't from the same exact maker, production line, touched by some lady's hands from Hockney or whereevers it got sprinkled with the elusive vintage unobtanium faerie powder.
dai h.

Postby neikeel » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:41 pm

dai h. wrote:well, if you're picking nits... :mrgreen:

If "7807" means 1978 July, then I suppose it's a little late to be "TRULY AUTHENTIC". :lol:

I have some Japanese ones with the same sort of construction (I can recall at least two, maybe three makers with the same basic brown, wax-covered?, rectangular package) and I haven't noticed anything special (perhaps my ears aren't golden enough). Of course, someone will think it wasn't a remotely valid comparison since they weren't from the same exact maker, production line, touched by some lady's hands from Hockney or whereevers it got sprinkled with the elusive vintage unobtanium faerie powder.

Yes exactly, to be period correct it should have the curved RS logo between two curved lines, I have two of those being saved for restoration only.

I think this pair prompted by the listing:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pr-NOS-Radiospares-560pf-sillver-mica-capacitors-/160746362359?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item256d3ad5f7

The vendor of the singleton is a member on Metroamp, HTH.
Neil
neikeel

Postby David B » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:26 pm

Well if its what the market will bear more power to him
David B

Postby dai h. » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:51 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pr-NOS-Radios ... 256d3ad5f7

around USD 360! :shock: (I'm sure I wouldn't be complaining if I was the seller, but) that is totally insane! :lol:

neikeel wrote:The vendor of the singleton is a member on Metroamp, HTH.

ah, so that's Ian's. Well good luck to him.

One thing in general anyone buying old parts might want to watch out for is that some have corroded leads which won't take solder (or won't take it well). Not totally sure how effective, but I've experimented with Deoxit on the leads in a small plastic bag (probably would want to be very careful with cap like the above mica which might soak in moisture). Does seem to have some effect (observing on things like jacks, tube pins, and such that I've tried that on--if I wipe after with a q-tip, there is some grime that wipes off). I suppose you could try fine sandpaper or something like that but the concern for me if removing whatever plating or whatnot that could be on the surface. (On that train of thought I think it's also a good idea to store them in plastic to keep them less exposed to oxygen and moisture.) Also some old caps are leaky (as in "leak DC"), some can even be shorted.
dai h.

Postby neikeel » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:16 am

I agree, insane prices. Presumably sniping programmes given a brief to go as high as it takes. I do not use them myself so cannot be definitive (other examples are the crazy auctions for 220k 1/2watt Pihers and the early 70s' Black Bat switch).

But if you have a resto and you are missing a crucial part to make it 100% there will be a silly price that you may be prepared pay - I have occasionally but nowhere near those prices - I prefer the swap route :wink:
Neil
neikeel

Postby David B » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:33 am

I can almost understand the black bat switches, see a few short ones out there :lol: what are they going for?
Swaps are much better
David B

Postby dai h. » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:30 pm

neikeel wrote:But if you have a resto and you are missing a crucial part to make it 100% there will be a silly price that you may be prepared pay - I have occasionally but nowhere near those prices - I prefer the swap route :wink:

I could see that and I can agree that it makes sense for a restoration, but even if the parts are collected and installed in the amp to achieve the "100%" state, it might not necessarily sound the best (that is, "best" for what a given person actually wants from a "Marshall sound"--not what they *think* they want but the circuit, spks, etc. combo that actually gives them the sound they are looking for). Or maybe it's partly about the thrill of chase and capture--some sort of in-built hunter-gatherer thing. "Lemco", "mustard", "Piher", et al are the modern day equivalent of wooly mammoths, buffalo, and mastodon. :lol: It is definitely nice to score some cool part/s while I'm "on the hunt" fo' sure.
dai h.

Postby neikeel » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:05 pm

dai h. wrote: Or maybe it's partly about the thrill of chase and capture--some sort of in-built hunter-gatherer thing. "Lemco", "mustard", "Piher", et al are the modern day equivalent of wooly mammoths, buffalo, and mastodon. :lol: It is definitely nice to score some cool part/s while I'm "on the hunt" fo' sure.

You have described GAS to a 'T" :lol:

This is just the OCD version :shock:
Neil
neikeel

Postby dai h. » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:58 am

and all the while, someone else is "capturing" the money from your wallet :lol: :mrgreen:

On an old parts tangential note (already touched on a bit in another thread) many through-hole parts look to be obsoleted, so if anyone plans on a future efx, DIY recording gear, etc. etc. in future, might be a good idea to stock up or at least have a small stash of things you plan to use (here I go encouraging hoarding... :lol: ). (The future "horror scenario" : you are sorting SMT parts on the bench--parts that are so small they are not marked--suddenly you have the uncontrollable urge to sneeze. :shock: )
dai h.

Postby David B » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:34 am

dai h. wrote: (The future "horror scenario" : you are sorting SMT parts on the bench--parts that are so small they are not marked--suddenly you have the uncontrollable urge to sneeze. :shock: )

Oh what was that character Woody Allen played in in Anne Hall? sneezes into pile of snow
David B

Postby dai h. » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:59 am

ahh, must be this one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHTcjZzSlAM[/youtube]

that would definitely be another instance where you would want to avoid sneezing. :lol:

(hmm... maybe a giant transparent sneeze guard with magnification capability will be the "must have" DIY accessory/Christmas gift for 2020.)
dai h.

Return to Auctions