Chokes

A place to ask questions about all transformers

Re: Chokes

Postby David B » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:20 am

need a LCR meter
David B

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Postby Brian Wallace » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:31 am

Does the choke have a model number on it?
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby Mars Hall » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:26 pm

Brian Wallace wrote:Does the choke have a model number on it?

Yes, 1471-263 also on the tag, 25-96. The choke is 2 1/2" tall.
"You just slide a bottle up and down 'til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it 'til you've got it down." Duane Allman
Mars Hall

Postby Brian Wallace » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby Mars Hall » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:41 pm

I have to assume my Drake choke is at least a little higher than 3H. There is an audible difference between the 2 chokes. My question of wether I would like a 20H choke remains unanswered.

Being that the JTM45's are pretty much a Fender Bassman, with European equivilant components, what size choke did Leo use? Was it a 20H? The schematics I've seen do not show the value of the choke. It's funny how Marshall stopped labeling the choke value, when he quit using the 20H choke.
"You just slide a bottle up and down 'til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it 'til you've got it down." Duane Allman
Mars Hall

Postby Brian Wallace » Fri May 01, 2009 7:55 pm

It might be more than 3 but probably not by much. This is a good reason to buy an inductance meter. :wink:

I did some net searching and found the Fender choke values to be 3 to 4 Henry's.
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby Mars Hall » Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 am

I guess there is no other way to find out how the RS 20H will sound, so I bought one! I will let you know my findings. :D
Mars Hall

Postby David B » Sat May 02, 2009 11:36 am

Mars Hall wrote:I guess there is no other way to find out how the RS 20H will sound, so I bought one! I will let you know my findings. :D

Excellent & as I'm too lazy to switch one out will be awaiting your results :lol:

fwiw the few fender chokes I have measure in around 3.3H
David B

Postby Mars Hall » Fri May 22, 2009 12:46 pm

I've got the new 20H choke in. I installed Chinese KT66's at the same time but I'm getting a huge plate voltage drop compared to before. From 425 down to 378 with the new tubes. I'm gonna try some things to see if it's the tubes or the choke. Could the choke cause this large of a voltage drop?
Mars Hall

Previous

Return to Transformers