Chokes

A place to ask questions about all transformers

Chokes

Postby bluze81 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:31 pm

Choke selection ? I am building a JTM50 Style clone,tube rectified, 784-128 output transformer [all Marstran transformers] question is what choke would be your first chose? 3H, 5H, 20H, ? I like a an amp that is a bit loose sounding. thanks
bluze81

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: Chokes

Postby Brian Wallace » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:52 pm

I prefer the 3H for a good loose amp that will crunch nicely when pushed.
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby 5F6-A » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:22 am

What about a choke for a JTM45 clone with KT66s. Brian????
5F6-A

Postby Brian Wallace » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:20 pm

Same choke for that as well.
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby Mars Hall » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:58 am

Brian, what choke do you suggest paired with a Marstran RS/OT? I currently have the 3H in my JTM45ri.
"You just slide a bottle up and down 'til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it 'til you've got it down." Duane Allman
Mars Hall

Postby Brian Wallace » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:25 pm

The 3H is the most common choke but if I was going to build an RS 45, I would go with the older set up and use a 20H for a change of pace. :wink:
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby David B » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:12 pm

Brian Wallace wrote:The 3H is the most common choke but if I was going to build an RS 45, I would go with the older set up and use a 20H for a change of pace. :wink:

Brian,

Have you tried the 20 in an RS OT amp?
I've been meaning to patch in a 20H in mine but haven't gotten around to it yet :roll:
David B

Postby Brian Wallace » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:29 pm

David,

I haven't tried it in my amps yet but I think it's time to do so. :)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby Mars Hall » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:27 pm

David B wrote:Have you tried the 20 in an RS OT amp?
I've been meaning to patch in a 20H in mine but haven't gotten around to it yet :roll:

How would you go about "patching in" a different choke? Could you use jumper wires with alligator clips? Would it be necessary to disconnect the old choke?

I have 20H choke I took out of BBri. Before buying a new one, I would like to try this one first, to see how it sounds. The stock chokes in BBri's are 20H, correct?
"You just slide a bottle up and down 'til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it 'til you've got it down." Duane Allman
Mars Hall

Postby David B » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:32 pm

IMO it would be safer to solder in the new choke, shouldn't be much trouble and yes the old one would have to be out of the circuit.
David B

Postby Mars Hall » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:05 pm

Well, I tried my BBri 20H choke in my JTM45ri build and I didn't like it. To my ear it lost some of the "hair" the other 3H choke provided. The amp seemed more "alive" with the smaller choke. The 20H did nothing to rid my amp of the ghosting, which you can't detect in a band situation anyway.
Mars Hall

Postby Mars Hall » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:44 pm

OK, I'm retracting the previous post. :oops: After further experimentation with the controls, I like the 20H choke more. The volume is now usable all the way to "10". With the 3H, from 8 - 10 the tone was unusable, as if it was too out of control. If that makes since. The tone just seem to get more "buzzy" not in a good way.

Another thing I noticed, the notes seem to have a better "bloom". When you hold a note and it picks up sustain almost into feedback. Really nice effect. 8)

I like this reissue choke so well, what do I gain buying the Marstran choke? I know it's more vintage correct the way it's made, but what does that add to the tone? If anything I like the look of Marstran better. :lol:
Mars Hall

Postby David B » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:52 pm

Interesting results, what are the specs of the BBri 20H choke ?
David B

Postby Brian Wallace » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:38 pm

I need to ask. Can I see this 20H BBri choke and did you measure it to make sure it's 20H?
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby Mars Hall » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:27 pm

I'm going on info that I have heard over the years. That The reissues had 20H chokes. I just looked at a schematic and it does not specify. Can it be measured with a standard voltmeter? What setting do I use?
Mars Hall

Next

Return to Transformers