Rewinding old transformers how is it done?

A place to ask questions about all transformers

Rewinding old transformers how is it done?

Postby 908ssp » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:56 pm

I want to know what is done when you rewind an old transformer. Lets assume the transformer is in very good physical shape but has a short rendering it unusable. How do you do the rewind and how much of the old transformer can you reuse?

I want an explanation I can quote. :wink:
Alex

Spelling and punctuation do matter.
908ssp

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Postby Brian Wallace » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:06 pm

Well, I know where this is going to be quoted to and I just want to say it's not really worth waisting time with it.

With that said, I take the lams out documenting how they are stacked to make sure they are stacked right when they go back in, I then unwind the coils paying attention to every insulating wrap, how thick it is, what it is made of and how many wraps are on each layer. I also document who many tuns there are per layer and what gauge wire it is and so on. This process goes on until you reach the bobbin. What you end up with is a lot of scrap wire and insulation, but you still have the bobbin and lams to reuse.

To answer the old question, can you rewind a transformer? Yes, you can rewind it, reusing the lams and bobbin to make it as close to original as you can, and believe me, it takes a lot of time and effort but I feel it is worth it. :wink:
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby Billy Batz » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:18 pm

Interesting. I guess that could make it worht it to buy a dead vintage trany. I guess its expensive to have you do this since its so labor intensive?
Billy Batz

Postby Brian Wallace » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:55 pm

It's always good to buy dead iron. I've bought a lot of them. :wink:

Sometimes it's very difficult to tear down transformers and some times it's real easy. I usually charge $120 to $150 to do a tear down. Maybe I should up it a bit. :lol:
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby 908ssp » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:16 am

Hey there is MOJO in that there Iron. :wink:

It is partly the principle to me. I want to preserve as much as possible in an old amp so why not reuse the old iron. At your current pricing it is cheaper to get it rewound so yea I think you're not charging enough It should cost more not less.
Alex

Spelling and punctuation do matter.
908ssp

my two cents

Postby swankmotee » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:46 pm

When you find a "definitive" Marshall, or any amp for that matter, that stands head and shoulders above the rest it's definitely worth the trouble to rebuild the output tranny because thats where that uniquess of tone comes from. The 73' 100wt that brian rebuilt for me has the "mojo" and once the tranny bites it I'm immediately sending it up for a rewind because i'd like to clone it for my other three so I can get them all to sound that damned good! You all know what I mean when you play through the one that does everything right and if Brian can get me at least 95% close to the original then I would be estatic!
www.myspace.com/tommyhatcher for the sound of THUNDRIN' Marshall 100 watters!
swankmotee

Re:

Postby neikeel » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:25 pm

908ssp wrote:At your current pricing it is cheaper to get it rewound so yea I think you're not charging enough It should cost more not less.

Don't say that Alex! He's working on my Dagnall OT at the moment 8) .

Actually the price is very reasonable (for me it is the shipping to the UK that kills :roll: ) for what is involved and hopefully the end result will be worth it.
Neil
neikeel

Return to Transformers