Buzzing OT

A place to ask questions about all transformers

Buzzing OT

Postby Humfree » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:15 pm

Hello,

many of you will know it: You hook the amp up to a loadbox and when turning down the volume you can still hear yourself playing. The sound comes not from the speakers but directly out of the OT.

My old late seventies JMP Head is buzzing from the OT like crazy but the tone is excellent I think. It's one of the onehundred watt models with the Dagnall 2668. Pretty low volume compared to other 100 watt amps.

Now my question is: Can this buzzing indicate a fading transformer ? I checked and measured the windings and everything seems OK.

Is the buzzing stealing output power ? Is it good to have them redipped in varnish for extended lifetime ??

thanks for enlightening me ! :|
Humfree

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: Buzzing OT

Postby dai h. » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:47 am

Hi Humfree,

As far as I know, (though it can be a bit disconcerting when hearing it for the first time) the buzzing is completely normal. It's just that it's usually not heard because the buzzing sound is drowned out by the speaker/s.
dai h.

Re: Buzzing OT

Postby Humfree » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:52 am

Oh yes, some OT's are buzzing more than others. I always like the Dagnalls that are buzzing more than others. I think it contributes to THE Marshall tone everyone is after .
Humfree

Return to Transformers