Differences in the various Marshall output transformers

A place to ask questions about all transformers

Differences in the various Marshall output transformers

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi

I'm new to Marshall amps, I've largely been a Fender type (don't hate me!)

I don't understand the differences between all the part numbers offered by Brian. What is the significance?

It's all a bit like Vox amps, at one stage the Albion transformer were it, and now the Woden transformers seem to be the preferred item?

What's the story?

Mark
Mark

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: Differences in the various Marshall output transformers

Postby David B » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the site, no worries some of us do have Fenders sitting next to those refrigerators :lol:

The intention is to cover the various transformers Marshall used through the years. For example take a look at the Marshall Database for the evolution of the JTM45 and note the progression of outputs from the RS De-Luxe to the later Drake 784-103.

http://marstran.com/Historic%20Data%20Base.htm

Generally speaking these outputs vary in their ratings and tonal qualities giving the user the choice to pick a specific flavor for their build, repair or upgrade. I ‘m sure preferences are all over the map but IMO both sound great!

David
David B

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:07 am

Thanks for your reply David, I was curious how the transformers differed.

Most guitarist I meet will talk about how they like the Marshall sound, but I say to them there are Marshall and then there are Marshall. The infamous Marshalls being valve states, the 900 series, the 2010 in the 800 series and I'm not too keen on the Jubilee amps either.

Of course that is what it is all about, defining what the Marshall is to you and what circuit transformer set and speakers will get you there.

Mind you I still don't know, are there you tube clips demonstrating differences?

Mark
Mark

Postby David B » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Mark,

There are plenty of recorded examples online plus some clips here. viewforum.php?f=11
Did you have something in mind?

David
David B

Return to Transformers