Dagnall PT teardown

A place to ask questions about all transformers

Dagnall PT teardown

Postby neikeel » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi All

You may remember Brian did a fantastic teardown and rebuild of the OT on one of my 68 SLs. Unfortuntely on my other one the PT I have for it is definitely unhealthy and will no doubt go pop soon.

Brian advised me to keep the lams for rebuild time but I am unsure how I should go about it. Someone suggested prising the core apart using butter knifes? I do not need to keep the wiring - the T2562 is pretty well documented.

I am in the UK and I undertstand that it can be a slow process to strip and clean the laminations properly. Seems daft to ship the dead PT to Michigan for £100 for it to be stripped if I can potentially do it myself.

Thanks in advance 8)
Neil
neikeel

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: Dagnall PT teardown

Postby David B » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:32 pm

Couple of links describing how to take the things apart.. £100 for shipping! wow

http://home.comcast.net/~stphkeri/meade ... rmers.html

http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/lcms/index ... ansformers
David B

Postby Brian Wallace » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:16 pm

Neil,

The tools I use are razor blades, small hammer, very thin putty knife( one that is slightly narrower than the width of the inside of the bobbin) and a breakable hobby knife.

The first lam is the toughest one to get out, just take your time and watch out for the razor blades. :twisted:
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby David B » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:21 pm

Brian,

Do you use any solvents or just the implements of destruct ?

db
David B

Postby Brian Wallace » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:40 am

David,

I used solvents once on the first OT. I just use the tools to get the lams out now. The solvent is used later to remove the lacquer from the lams.
Remember....You can fix it with a little extra energy and a positive attitude. ;)
Brian Wallace
Site Admin

Postby neikeel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:40 am

Thanks for the advice.

I thought that there were tricks involved that first link from David in particular.

I have seen conflicting advice about the treatment of laminations after stripping, I had planned to polish the rust from the lams with fine wet and dry, is there a particular solvent to use when removing the varnish (I presume that although I cannot see much varnish on the outside it will be impregnated into the layers).

What is it about the old cheapo lams that is desirable? Presume this is the stuff currently used by all (does that apply to Brian and the other 'boutique/repro' transformer people:http://www.edcorusa.com/t/Mtr-Core-Steel.

I remember some reference to the grain orientation, carbon and silicon contents not being the same and that some compensation for the newer materials can be made, although this is/was a 'trade secret'?
Neil
neikeel

Return to Transformers