Cable problem

Amps are useless without them.

Cable problem

Postby David B » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:04 pm

Plugged in to play a little and nothing, swapped cables eureka problem found. So what happened to my nice Mogami cable ? :o
Soldering looks good ,checked continuity tip to tip & ground to ground, looks good. Next step tip to ground and .....3 ohms!

Guessing the cable must have suffered some catastrophic event e.g. the vacuum cleaner however no visual evidence :?

Cut off the Neutrix plugs and checked the cable, no issue there so moved on to measuring both plugs and found one is shorted tip to ground by 3 ohms!

No sign of stray wires or any other debris, cleaned up the plug and still 3 ohms .Cable worked fine for six years then the plug just shorts, never had that happen before.
David B

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: Cable problem

Postby dai h. » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:24 am

interesting. Wonder where the short happened. One potential problem with cables (which may not be readily apparent) is from the conductive plastic layer (if there is one). This has to be dressed so it isn't touching the hot conductor or you'll be loading the signal down to ground.
dai h.

Re: Cable problem

Postby David B » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Yeah Mogami 2524 does have the conductive layer but that was trimmed by me some years ago.
Connector looks to be in good condition & hasn't seen heavy usage.
This vexes me, not sure what the cause is. Perhaps I'll dissect the thing one day :twisted:
David B

Return to Guitars