Metropoulos Modified Marshall 1959HW

Talk about the evolution of Marshall's.

Metropoulos Modified Marshall 1959HW

Postby yngwie308 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:06 pm

I thought I would show my somewhat infamous 2005 Marshall 1959HW, that I had upgraded by George himself at Metropoulos Amplifiers in Flint, Michigan. Within a few months of me recieving this amp, actually complete stack with two HW Celestion Heritage 30H loaded 4X12"cabs.
The amp I have is the second one actually, the amp is the second one I recieved as the first I was so dissatisfied with the tone of that I had them order me a replacement. The GC in Scottsdale eneded up having the amp 'checked out' by their amp guy and was later for sale at their store. Actually I preferred the first amp in the long run.
Much of my dissatisfaction was in the 'tone' of the amps, differing greatly from all the 'real' Marshalls I had owned. My first amp a '68 Super Lead, then I owned a 1967 JTM Super Bass Black Flag, a 1966 JTM 45 with end blocks and EL 34's, a 1973 Super Lead.
Just recently I sold the HW cabs, the 'weakest link' perhaps in the tone equation, as I am attempting to pay for a rare Washburn guitar that became available, but since I luckily cannot even normally worry about GAS, this is the last guitar I will buy fir many years!
Here are some pictures of the amp with gut shots, the upgrades include the Heyboer Dagnall Clone, built to George's specs, F&T filter caps, Zoso's, Allen Bradley carbon comp resistors, Mullard Reissue EL 34's, Tung Sol 12AX7's.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Here is the big resolution album:
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/ ... %201959HW/
I have mixed emotions about this head and have had difficulty 'giving' it away for resale as I did the speaker cabs, sure George had to 'clean up' the sloppy pre-amp wiring , on this 'handwired' amp,and I had talked with Brian as well about the amp as I either have issues with getting clean power or certain gremlins which seemed to come and go, but nothing is found wrong on return to Flint!
yngwie308
yngwie308

Advertisement

Banner ads are available for $25 a month. PM or Email me at Info@wallaceamps.com for more details.

Re: Metropoulos Modified Marshall 1959HW

Postby dai h. » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:24 pm

looks nice. (Out of curiousity,) what was it about the tone that you didn't like?
dai h.

Return to Marshall Data Base